Submitted by : simon at: 2007-04-29T00:49:25+00:00 (10 years ago)
Name :
Category : Severity : Status :
Optional subject :  
Optional comment :

In the last two days the zope server has been serving requests extremely slowly for a few minutes, then recovering. Recent GeneralDiscussion:

I've blocked "qihoobot" which was getting stupid urls like /AllPages/AllPages/AllPages/AllPages/AllPages/AllPages/ZwikiWebChanges1999 for ever. I think this was the cause of today and yesterday's site slowdown. I've also upgraded zope from 2.9.4 to 2.10.3 and removed all plone products for the moment, which makes restarts much faster. plone.demo.zwiki.org is out of action temporarily.

But, the zope upgrade means #1330 is biting us on zwiki.org now; some views and pages will give unicode errors. I'm making progress on this.

Still slow - it's really puzzling, I see no specific slow requests, but every few minutes zope becomes really slow - requests taking up to 15 minutes each - and then recovers for another few minutes. I continue to study the logs.

It's not clear whether this is caused by recent commits. To find out, I have rolled the server back to an earlier version than the Zwiki main repo (before history changes).

current status --simon, Sun, 29 Apr 2007 07:00:21 -0700 reply

zwiki.org is now running latest zwiki code and zope 2.10.3 (non-zeo). I've optimised some render methods to make page views faster. I've learned a lot but found no large smoking gun. The problem remains.

current status --simon, Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:02:13 -0700 reply

PS I also enabled apache http proxy cache, so zope is handling fewer requests for images etc.

current status --simon, Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:04:23 -0700 reply

And reduced zserver max-listen-sockets from 1000 to 10, in the hope that future slowdowns will reject incoming requests for a bit instead of building up a backlog that takes forever to clear.

much better for the last two days --simon, Tue, 01 May 2007 08:51:28 -0700 reply

Status: open => closed