Structured Text is a simple plain text markup format used by ZoPe and ZWiki. It's similar in effect to WikiWikiWebMarkup but is more intuitive and standardized. The idea is to have text that is easy to read both in source and rendered form.
Zwiki supports other TextFormattingRules, Structured Text was for a long time the default for these reasons: it was the first in zope, it's a standard, it's simple, it's forgiving, and it allows embedded HTML and DTML. Nowadays it has been superseded by RestructuredText as the default page type in Zwiki.
Problems with Structured Text:
There are some unsolved problems with STX, for example with international (non-ASCII) characters (check the issue tracker in the category user-editing-stx for more). Due to the age and complexity of the Structured Text code, and due to Zwiki having moved on to RestructuredText as the recommended and default page format, don't expect these things to get fixed any time soon.
(moved from QuickReference)
Zwiki adds linking and some fixes to standard STX.
- don't bother trying to learn all the text formatting rules and
their interactions. Mimic the text around you; when STX doesn't do
what you want, tweak it until it looks right. Note STX usually
does not support non-latin characters. Go to the `docs
`_ or `ask for help `_ when you get really stuck or curious.
- text emphasis:
*italic* **bold** _underlined_ 'monospaced'
- linking (see link types above):
WikiName [bracketed free-form name] ZWiki:RemoteWikiLink http://bare/url <a href="http://some/where">html link</a> "Structured Text link":http://some/where  (structured text footnote)
- separate paragraphs with blank lines
- a one-line paragraph becomes a heading when followed by a more-indented paragraph (all indented, or just the first line). A more-indented heading becomes a subheading.
- a paragraph beginning with - or * or a number followed by a space makes a bullet or numbered list item. A more-indented list item starts a sub-list.
- HTML tags may be used if necessary; on sites which permit it, DTML (server-side code) may also be used
- to quote text, avoiding all the above: indent it after a paragraph
ending with a double colon:
parent paragraph:: This is the only reliable way to quote WikiLinks, <HTML tags> and &dtml-code; or preserve fixed-width formatting. Use this eg when posting zope tracebacks.
- cheatsheet for STX in Zwiki: http://zwiki.org/QuickReference#4
- Structured Text's home is the StructuredTextWiki:FrontPage at zope.org
- here are the official StructuredTextWiki:StructuredTextRules (do these reflect the latest StructuredTextWiki:StructuredTextNGRules ?)
- An Introduction to Structured Text - a nice article by Paul Everitt
- The StructuredTextWiki:TextFormattingRules describes Structured Text use in Zwiki. (Is it up to date, or from WikiForNow/CMFWiki ?) StructuredTextInZwiki is a more readable local mirror.
- Formatting rules in a nutshell on the Zwiki HelpPage
- CommonPlace:TextFormattingRules and CommonPlace:HTMLBasics - short and very sweet
- more about StructuredTextTables
- IntroductionToStructuredText - source unknown, may overlap with other documents
- http://plone.org/documentation/howto/structured-text-cheatsheet - a structured text cheat sheet at plone.org
RestructuredText is a newer, more formalized alternative with its own advantages and disadvantages.
StructuredTextUnicodePatch - STX supports only ascii chacters out of the box
All pages in this wiki with
StructuredText in the name:
- [#3 StructuredTextRules describes stx's ? links not zwiki's]
- #352 Add reStructuredText document type?
- #512 reStructuredText bracket and freeformlink collisions
- #605 StructuredText's named links are broken in 0.22
- #608 saving international characters in ReStructuredText mode gives unicode error
- #687 ZWiki 0.26 reStructuredText support fail on zope 2.7
- #737 uploading images to reStructuredText pages adds html tag
- #776 StructuredText Enhancement
- #780 reStructuredText literal section and WikiWords
- #814 file and image upload for ReStructuredText pages
- #877 StructuredText "escape" mechanism is needed
- #880 ZWiki tries to create ZWikiPages for ReStructuredText footnotes
- #887 SystemExit exception when creating/saving a reStructuredText page with Zope2.7.1