Edit detail for #959 Implicit RemoteWikiLinks revision 1 of 1

1
Editor: simon
Time: 2006/10/03 08:13:35 GMT+0
Note: revert

changed:
-
I noted int awhile back but would like to get it set as an issue.

A page acts as a RemoteWikiLink when it has a RemoteWikiURL.  I would like to propose that without a RemoteWikiURL, the page acts like a RemoteWikiLink , with the target of the URL being the page's URL.   Thus: QuickReferences:#3 would resolve to http://zwiki.org/QuickReferences#3 , similarly for [Quick references]:3

I believe in my last proposal I sugguested an implicit '#', and possibly using that as a sigil...which resulted in the conclusion that it would make wiki-links too mystical.  This may also, but I'd like to discuss it.

There's also an implementation snag in the requirements for the target of a remote wiki link.  I'd prefer this to be any text until whitespace and end of page*

* If it were delimitable, that may make it easier to include following punctuation, but let's worry about that later, but that's a tangent issue which also affects STX hyperlinking.




From BobMcElrath Thu Oct 28 09:15:08 -0700 2004
From: Bob McElrath
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:15:08 -0700
Subject: (new)
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>

anonymous [[email protected]] wrote:
> I noted int awhile back but would like to get it set as an issue.
> 
> A page acts as a RemoteWikiLink when it has a RemoteWikiURL.  I would
> like to propose that without a RemoteWikiURL, the page acts like a
> RemoteWikiLink , with the target of the URL being the page's URL.
> Thus: QuickReferences:#3 would resolve to
> http://zwiki.org/QuickReferences#3 , similarly for [Quick
> references]:3
> 
> I believe in my last proposal I sugguested an implicit '#', and
> possibly using that as a sigil...which resulted in the conclusion that
> it would make wiki-links too mystical.  This may also, but I'd like to
> discuss it.

I like this suggestion.

> There's also an implementation snag in the requirements for the target
> of a remote wiki link.  I'd prefer this to be any text until
> whitespace and end of page*
> 
> * If it were delimitable, that may make it easier to include following
> punctuation, but let's worry about that later, but that's a tangent
> issue which also affects STX hyperlinking.

With "newstx":http://mcelrath.org:9675 I have expanded the characters
allowed in URL's to include rfc 1738 (i.e. characters allowed in URL's
-- stx didn't get it right).  Also I expanded the characters allowed in
a "link":http://link to be absolutely anything between the quotes
(including punctuation, any utf-8, etc) and the RHS is again rfc 1738.

I do not think including *any* character on the RHS of remotewikiurl's
should be allowed, because it is undelimited, and because you can easily
write things which aren't allowed in urls anyway and would have to be
escaped.

What about url's with utf-8 characters, does that ever happen?  It might
be nicer to write the character itself than escaping it like %048%300.



From unknown Thu Oct 28 10:48:14 -0700 2004
From: 
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:48:14 -0700
Subject: (new)
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>

> I do not think including any character on the RHS of remotewikiurl's should be allowed

Makes sense.

> It might be nicer to write the character itself than escaping it like %048%300.

:-)  I can't imagine this without the use of a start/end delimiter.  e.g. If the delmiter exists, url_encode() it. :-)  

From unknown Thu Oct 28 14:55:42 -0700 2004
From: 
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:55:42 -0700
Subject: page-editing might be more apporpriate,but not sure.
Message-ID: <[email protected]>

Category: user-browsing => general 


Submitted by : 127.0.0.1 at: 2004-10-28T07:16:48+00:00 (16 years ago)
Name :
Category : Severity : Status :
Optional subject :  
Optional comment :

I noted int awhile back but would like to get it set as an issue.

A page acts as a RemoteWikiLink? when it has a RemoteWikiURL. I would like to propose that without a RemoteWikiURL, the page acts like a RemoteWikiLink? , with the target of the URL being the page's URL. Thus: QuickReferences?:#3 would resolve to http://zwiki.org/QuickReferences#3 , similarly for [Quick references]?:3

I believe in my last proposal I sugguested an implicit #, and possibly using that as a sigil...which resulted in the conclusion that it would make wiki-links too mystical. This may also, but I'd like to discuss it.

There's also an implementation snag in the requirements for the target of a remote wiki link. I'd prefer this to be any text until whitespace and end of page*

  • If it were delimitable, that may make it easier to include following punctuation, but let's worry about that later, but that's a tangent issue which also affects STX hyperlinking.


comments:

(new) --Bob McElrath?, Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:15:08 -0700 reply
anonymous [zwiki-wiki@zwiki.org]? wrote:

I noted int awhile back but would like to get it set as an issue.

A page acts as a RemoteWikiLink? when it has a RemoteWikiURL. I would like to propose that without a RemoteWikiURL, the page acts like a RemoteWikiLink? , with the target of the URL being the page's URL. Thus: QuickReferences?:#3 would resolve to http://zwiki.org/QuickReferences#3 , similarly for [Quick references]:3

I believe in my last proposal I sugguested an implicit #, and possibly using that as a sigil...which resulted in the conclusion that it would make wiki-links too mystical. This may also, but I'd like to discuss it.

I like this suggestion.

There's also an implementation snag in the requirements for the target of a remote wiki link. I'd prefer this to be any text until whitespace and end of page*

  • If it were delimitable, that may make it easier to include following punctuation, but let's worry about that later, but that's a tangent issue which also affects STX hyperlinking.

With newstx I have expanded the characters allowed in URL's to include rfc 1738 (i.e. characters allowed in URL's -- stx didn't get it right). Also I expanded the characters allowed in a link to be absolutely anything between the quotes (including punctuation, any utf-8, etc) and the RHS is again rfc 1738.

I do not think including any character on the RHS of remotewikiurl's should be allowed, because it is undelimited, and because you can easily write things which aren't allowed in urls anyway and would have to be escaped.

What about url's with utf-8 characters, does that ever happen? It might be nicer to write the character itself than escaping it like %048%300.

(new) -- Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:48:14 -0700 reply

I do not think including any character on the RHS of remotewikiurl's should be allowed

Makes sense.

It might be nicer to write the character itself than escaping it like %048%300.

:-) I can't imagine this without the use of a start/end delimiter. e.g. If the delmiter exists, url_encode() it. :-)

page-editing might be more apporpriate,but not sure. -- Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:55:42 -0700 reply
Category: user-browsing => general